Saturday, August 13, 2016

Thyroidectomy Post-op Day 5

Today was my first full day at home since the surgery. It was great waking up in my own bed. I naturally woke up a 7am, took my synthroid, and fell back asleep (because no work!).

I do not know which is crazier at night: the hospital or my house. At the hospital I had to deal with doctors and nurses coming in the room through the night, and noises in the hall. At home, I have to deal with kids, a snoring dog, a meowing cat, and a wife that talks in her sleep. Last night was particularly interesting because the labador decided to share my youngest son's bed with him in the middle of the night... And then decided not to share but to spread out and take the entire bed.

I showered and shaved for the first time. Made a grocery list and planned out some meals (trying to stay healthy for a quick heal). I walked on the treadmill several times, made lunch, and did some light work around the house. I spent time with the kids. I wanted to get back into the swing of things, however, I also didn't want to over due it. I am also staying diligent with My Fitness App so I can make sure I am Maximizing my nutrition so it promotes quick healing. I found an interesting series on Netflix but I normally only let myself watch Netflix if I am excercising, so, this gives me a good incentive to use the treadmill.

I am feeling great. The sore throat caused by the breathing tube comes and goes (usually goes). I don't touch the incision or let anything touch it. The incision isn't a bit uncomfortable. I try to be careful turning my head too far or too fast just to be safe. I am also being careful with my voice: when I called for the kids I didn't use my full volume like I normally would. I don't know that I could have used my full volume - I just didn't feel comfortable trying to. I suspect I have lost some of that volume (a common and often temporary post-op symptom).

Much of today was about recovering from the hospital stay: all the bruising from failed blood work, tape glue residue stuck to my skin, the area on my hand where the IV had grown impacted, the scrapes from blood pressure colars, the nicks from surgery, and more.

The nurses did my vitals regularly while at the hospital. I am continuing the activity.  Every few hours I take my temperature and I have a blood pressure wrist cuff that also tells heart rate. I need to watch for fever, and am watching the other numbers to be sure they don't go strange.

My energy level is high. I lost six pounds during the hospital visit (I understand that is likely to all come back). There was a lot I wanted to do today, I got most of it done, and the day flew by way too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment