Thursday, August 4, 2016

Pre-Op Panic?

Maybe it was a panic because my surgery is in five days. But I read something on the Internet and I knew that if I didn't ask the doctor about it now, it would bug me for the rest of my life!

I read an article from four months ago that said encapsulated follicular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma could be treated by removing the nodule instead of the entire thyroid.

It would be just my luck - I would have the entire thyroid removed only to discover in a couple of years that they don't do that anymore because they have a better treatment!

So I called and talked to the nurse. I apologized for the question I was about to asked and told her I was self diagnosing via Google. I explained to her what I had read and asked for an opinion and explanation.

She explained that in cases like that, they remove the entire thyroid, not just a nodule. She suggested I ask the surgeon about it on the day of my surgery to get a better explanation.

I sure hope they aren't going to cut out my Thyroid because that's just what they have always done. I am no doctor and I don't want to pretend to know more than The doctor, and I understand this is probably just pre-op panic, but I want to get an answer before my thyroid gets tossed into the trash. If it has to be removed? Fine, I understand it, take it away. But if it doesn't? I would like to know that as an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment