Thursday, August 11, 2016

Thyroidectomy Post-op Day 3

As I read other accounts of Thyroidectomy, I found it odd that the frequency of posts quickly trailed off. I am starting to understand why.., life just returns to normal. I kinda feel that way at the end of Day 3.

I spent all day sitting in a chair or walking laps around the hospital wing. I feel fine and I am ready to go home (even though I am enjoying the accommodations). Unfortunately my parathyroids disagree. My blood calcium levels continually dropped to 7.9 before shooting up at 4pm to 8.6 and back down to 7.9 at 10pm. Calcium needs to be at least 8.5, so, 8.6 is good. 7.9? Not so much.  The surgeons involved an Endicrin doctor and decided to keep me until I had 24 hours of good calcium numbers, so, that means spending tonight in the hospital.

My wife has hung out with me at the hospital for around seven hours today. She has to balance running the family without me but I think she enjoys spending the time with me at the hospital and I think it helps her. Of course, I enjoy her company, having someone to walk with and play cards and help pass the time. But I just know there are dentist appointments for the kids, sports practices, shopping, and more that are on her plate too.

I am feeling good and hopeful something will get figured out with the calcium on Day 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment