Saturday, August 20, 2016

Self Concious About The Scar

It is Saturday morning and my wife and I are eating breakfast. She tells me about the weekend schedule: "You and I are going shopping because afterwards I need you to stop at Vetizon and help me pick out my new cell phone. Then on Sunday after church, the church gang is all going out to lunch..."

I stopped her and said "wait a minute...  Eleven days ago I was lying on an operating table with my neck split open." My scar looks better but it is still red and swollen and I still have a 2x2 yellow puffy area under the incision. I said "I am not going anywhere with anyone - especially with people I know."


She answered "Are you going to just hide in the house for the next six month?"

"No," I told her. "I just want to wait until the scar looks better. I don't want to gross anyone out, especially while they are trying to eat!"

It was then I realized I had crossed over a bridge I previously hadn't thought I cared for. I am a guy. Scars are cool. I don't care if I have a scar!  

But apparently I do care if I have a scar.

I feel great - better than before the surgery. I can go anywhere and do anything I want. I have so much energy now!  I suppose it is easy for everyone to forget that I am still healing. And an unexpected part of that healing is coming to terms with a red puffy 11 day old scar

I agreed to the weekend activities that didn't involve people I knew. And my wife agreed that I am not yet confortable with this scar. I know she will help me through this and push me to be better. She keeps telling me "it looks OK, if anything, it looks like you are wearing a necklace".

Maybe in another week or two I won't be so self conscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment