Saturday, August 27, 2016

Exhaustion or Hypothyroidism?

Hypothyroidism can include being tired and depressed. I have read that some people will experience a hormone crash 2-4 weeks after a Thyroidectomy. Therefore I have been watching my mood, energy, and level of tiredness. Every day I score those three elements on a scale of 1-10. I have been fortunate to be able to score a 9 or 10 on everyday... Except for today.

Today is Day 19 of Post-Op and we need to do back-to-school clothes shopping for the boys. They are old enough to stay home alone, they hate clothes shopping, it is easier to just do it without them, so we leave them home. I hate clothes shopping worse than the boys - it is pure torture. If I had to choose between a poke in the eye versus clothes shopping? I would take a poke in the eye every time.

Luckily my wife loves to clothes shop or else we might never have new clothes in our house. She doesn't like shopping by herself so it is up to me to accompany her. 

We drove an hour to the other side of the city. 150 minutes at the mall were unproductive so we headed to Kohls. After four hours at Kohls, we left with several large bags of back to school clothes and clothes for my wife.

At somewhere around hour 3 at Kohls, something just stopped working correctly. I was drained of all energy, very tired, and had feelings of depression. I wanted to go home and go to bed.

Admittedly, four hours is a long time to do something that is close to torture. Maybe it was just natural exhaustion. Or maybe this was the result of a thyroid  hormone deficiency. 

Day 19 will get a bad score. Hopefully tomorrow will get a better score

No comments:

Post a Comment