Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Third Ultrasound Today

My surgery is one week from today so I am enjoying my last week with a thyroid. I am expecting life to change quite a bit after the surgery but for now I can be worry free. I don't know if I should enjoy this week and eat and do anything I want to do, or, should prepare myself with a week of healthy eating habits and exercise. I recently returned from a great family vacation where, as I often do on these trips, put on almost ten pounds. I suppose the party time is over and I should get serious.

I had my third pre-op thyroid ultrasound today. The purpose of this ultrasound was to look at the lymph nodes to make sure the cancer hasn't spread. If it has spread, the lumph nodes will have to come out too. 

The ultrasound was at a different facility from where I have had the other two ultrasounds because this ultrasound was ordered by my surgeon and I needed to have it done at a facility within the surgeon's network. I was familiar with this facility because it is where I had my nuclear thyroid test two years ago.

Because the facility is within my surgeon's network, I arrived without a "script" from my doctor, which felt odd. I just had to hope and trust that I would arrive and they would know what needed to be done.

I checked in and was given a wrist band with my name. After a short wait, I was called back. The ultrasound lady asked me what was going on with the Thyroid, if I knew why I was there today, and if I had a needle biopsy done. I answered all the questions and she began the thirty minute ultrasound. It was pretty easy for me - just lay there and look at the ceiling while she ran the ultrasound device all over my neck from behind my ear to my collar bone. When told, I would turn my head to the right or left. 

Once the ultrasound was finished, I used a towel to wipe off the ultrasound gel and then I was finished. I was told it would take a couple of days to get the results.

I went across the hall to get blood work done. I was told I needed to get the blood work completed within 1 month before the surgery, so, 1 week qualifies! They found the surgeon's orders in the computer, called me back, and took four viles. I don't know what these tests are, but, they checked APTT, basic metabolic panel, CBC and differential, and Protime -INR.

I took advantage of the opportunity to ask about Thyroid Labs. I understand I may need labs done every six weeks, so, I want to learn what is involved. The technician drawing my blood said that thyroid labs require anywhere from one to three viles depending on what tests are ordered. She reassured me that three viles are not bad - she has sometimes needed to take 12 viles for other conditions.

Blood work and ultrasound are done. Check those off the list!

Tonight I get a hair cut because I don't want to have to deal with a hair cut while recovering from the surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment