Monday, August 29, 2016

First Day Back To The Gym

I often see the question "when can I return to the gym", or, "when can I work out". I will share my story in the hope it will help you out.

Four hours after surgery, I was active. I walked the hospital wing with the aid of a nurse or my wife. Initially the walking was useful to get the anathesia out of my system. But when I ended up staying in the hospital for four days while my calcium levels straightened out, walking became a way to break up the boredom.

In my continuing (and lately failing) attempts at weight control I am a frequent gym attendee: five to seven days per week for an hour. Before I put on 55 pounds (something that I probably incorrectly blame my thyroid for) I would often work out for several hours per day, and just two years ago I was running five miles every day.

So, excercising is not a challenge for me.

That is why I continued to walk when I left the hospital and went home. I used the treadmill for light and slow walks, building myself up, being careful to be sure I was ready and wasn't over doing it. I started at 1.5mph for 15 minutes at a time, and that was fine.

On Post-Op day 10, my surgeon cleared my for physical activity. Even so, I knew I wasn't ready for the gym. I just continued to walk on the treadmill.

By Day 15 I was feeling pretty good. I was walking 3.5mph for 30 minutes, twice per day. Yet I still didn't feel like I was ready to return to the gym.

Day 20 hit and I was ready to return. I am starting a 10 week cardo program that involves 15-30 minutes on a stationary bike, 30-60 minutes on elipticals, time split evenly between two of three completely different styles of elliptical.

I don't feel ready for weight/resistance training. In fact, I am very careful (and a little timid) about lifting anything too heavy around the house. I am confident I will overcome that... I have ten weeks before I need to switch up my workout by adding weights.

My advice (for what little it is worth)?Listen to your body. It will tell you when it is ready to increase activity. Don't push yourself while still healing. A little bit is OK - if you can do 1.5 mph for 15 minutes? Great! Finally, remain flexible to your body's needs. If you physically need a shorter workout or to take a day off? Do it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment