Monday, April 30, 2018

Support Group: Not needing Radiation

I scour the support groups for some of the best questions and answers. Everyone's names are removed for privacy. Answers may be summarized and/or edited.

Question: Is there anyone NOT need radiation after their thyroidectomy

Answers:

  • My cancer was small and encapsulated so I was told RAI was not necessary
  • I was given the choice and I chose RAI
  • My nodule were small, encapsulated with clean margin. I had a total done in October 2017.
  • I did not. Oncologist thought was that it sometimes does more harm than good and it’s way overused. My cancer was totally contained to my thyroid
  • I opted out and the MD felt ok with that choice due to the size, etc..
  • I didn’t. My cancer was pretty small and wasn’t in my lymph nodes. I’m 2 yrs out.
  • I had No RAI after my total thyroidectomy, almost 2 years later my thyroid cancer came back with a vengeance
  • My first was partial removal with no radiation, second was total removal with radioactive iodine
  •  I was told most people don’t need it, I did because I had an issue with lymph nodes being involved.
  • I was told protocols are changing, and that RAI isn’t always deemed necessary anymore.
  • I was told the chance of recurrence was essentially the same with and without. I didn't want the additional side effects from the RAI if it wasn't going to substantially decrease the chance of recurrence
  • I didn’t. Tumor was contained and I was 33
  • I am an oncology nurse. The guidelines are changing. TT June 2017. No RAI for now. Lymph nodes negative, all contained within the thyroid.
  • None for me, I started taking all the amino acids after, helped.
  • My endo said I did not need it and recommended me not doing it. I had a total done oct 2016 and my tests so far have came back great






Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist, nor personal trainer. Never take medical advice over the internet. Seek the advice of your doctor before following any of the recommendations made during this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment