Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Second Goiter Ultrasound Results

It was March 2014 when I went through my first Thyroid check. They compared the 2014 pictures to the new 2016 pictures and found the nodule had increased in size. Now they are arranging for a needle biopsy. That means they will stab me in the throat with a needle, take some cells from the thyroid, and look at them under a microscope.

I did some research. 90% of the time the needle biopsy comes back fine. If it finds cancer? 95% of the time they cure it with surgery. So, the chance I have a problem at this stage is 5% of 10%. I actually do think there is something wrong with my thyroid: depression, overweight, chronic cough, etc. I just don't think it is cancer.

I try not to worry about the possibility of cancer, but sometimes I do worry about it. Then I research on the internet to make myself feel better. I don't worry that I will die of cancer because i think that is unlikely. We all die of something - eventually something will kill me. But I don't think I will die of thyroid cancer. I worry about all the procedures, pain, and those kinds of things - fairly minor issues.

Mostly, I feel this is a hassle and just want to get this done - especially with leaving for a vacation in 16 days. I just want to hurry up, do whatever needs to be done, and don't let it interrupt the vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment