Sunday, June 26, 2016

Pre-Surgeon Appointment

We meet with the surgeon tomorrow to find out what needs to be done for the Thyroidectomy and the timeline. I assume I will loose the entire thyroid, but, I don't know for certain.

According to our original plan, we were supposed to arrive in Florida today and stay until the end of July. The trip is non-refundable, so, the house we rented is now sitting empty! We are very concerned whether the surgery timeline will allow us to use some of the time we have purchased. This concern is helping to pass the time.

If the surgeon tells us the surgery won't be for several weeks? We are going to hop in the car Tuesday morning and drive to Florida. Therefore, we have to have everything for five weeks packed and ready to go whether we are going to get to go or not. This "unknowing" is very difficult.

I have questions for the doctor all figured out:

1. I have a lump near my elbow that my Primary Doctor doesn't think is related, but, I want him to look at it.
2. I want to know the number of surgeries the doctor has done. I have learned that there is a scale based on surgeries that determines how expert the doctor is.
3. I am concerned about gaining weight. Some gain weight, most don't - I want to make sure the doctor knows this is a concern
4. Do I meet with an Endocrine doctor? When?
5. Will I have to go through a Radioactive Iodine treatment?
6. What is the timeline of all the activities?
7. Will we be able to go to Florida?
8. How much of the thyroid will be take
9. If he doesn't take it all, what is the chance of occurrence?
10. Will the stitches be on the outside? Or will be do stitches on the inside?

Here is a list of questions you might want to consider asking: http://www.thyca.org/newly-diagnosed/questions/

I am sure I will have more questions, but, that is what I have come up with so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment