Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Sleep Study: Consultation

Ever since the Thyroidectomy I have been very tired. The best success I have had with combating this is to sleep at least eight hours and exercise. However, that doesn't always work.

I talked with my Endocrinologist about this problem and she doesn't understand why I would be tired. It seems odd to me that this isn't a well known problem because I read about people being tired in all of the Thyroidectomy groups.

I discussed this problem with my General Practitioner (GP). He believes the problem is because I am not sleeping enough at night. I have had two discussions with my GP about this and he is convinced that is the problem.

My Fitbit tracks my sleep. The Fitbit results have been inconclusive. It does say I loose 30 minutes of sleep per night, and I wake up 14 to 16 times per night, but Sleep Apnea is much more severe than this - waking sometimes 14 times per hour.

Nevertheless, my GP referred my to a sleep clinic. The waiting list for the clinic was very long, but after three months - my appointment finally arrived.

While in the waiting room I filled out some paperwork that asked about illnesses, surgeries, and family history. There was also a survey that asked about times during the day when I could fall asleep (watching TV, using in a car, etc). I never have situations where I might unintentionally fall asleep during the day, so, the survey was easy to fill out.

And then it was time to see the doctor. He asked me why I was referred to a sleep study and talked about my sleep issues. I felt as though my answers made me a very poor candidate for a sleep study, but the doctor disagreed. And then I started feeing ripped off. Sleep doctors must have the easiest job:take everyone who walks through the door and pass them straight into a sleep study. I felt like my answers to his questions didn't matter because I was going to get a sleep study regardless. I wondered how much money this doctor made on each study, and whether he owned stock in sleep apnea equipment (CPAP) companies.

"What percentage of people that you study end up with a CPAP machine?" I asked.

"Around 80%", the doctor said. He detected my resistance and proceeded to sell me on the benefits of a CPAP machine. I didn't need to e sold. My skepticism was within my belief it was already determined I would need a CPAP before I ever walked through the door.

"How many people get off the CPAP after loosing weight?" I asked. 

The doctor explained how sleep apnea effects everyone, not just overweight people. He said a percentage of overweight people do get off the CPAP, but those are usually people who are extemly overweight to the point of needing weight surgery and experience a 30% drop in weight.

I agreed to continue through the study. I imagined needing to sleep overnight at the clinic so they could study me. However, the doctor explained that he rarely does that anymore. Instead, he sends patients home  with a kit that records them sleeping. I return the kit, they analyze the results, and they tell me why is going on.

I pick up my kit in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment