Thursday, March 16, 2017

Skin Cancer Check

I believe in regular skin cancer check. In fact, I have had a check every 3-4 years since my early thirties. Early detection is essential! Get an appointment today!

As I was growing up, I spent much of my time working outdoors. From as early as I can remember I was working lawns, gardens, farms, fixing the house, etc. We were taught to start every summer with a good sunburn because that would aid getting a protective tan. And we never wore sun screen - what was that? I was far into adulthood before I learned how sunburns lead to skin cancer. When a co-worker came down with skin cancer, I understood the importance of getting checked regularly.

In fact, it was a skin cancer check in 2016 that found my Thyroid cancer!

Now, in my late forties, I am determined to get yearly skin cancer checks (instead of waiting 3-4 years).This year's check was today. Normally I have my General Practitioner (GP) do the check, but this year I went to a dermatologist.

The dermatologist made the check quick and easy. He touched every freckle and mole with a metal tool that recorded information about the skin defect. As he worked, he dictated information pertaining to his activities to his nurse.

In just moments he was done and had a complete recording of all the moles. When I return next year, the doctor will be able to repeat the process and his system will tell him whether anything has changed.

For now? I am skin cancer free - which is a great relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment