Monday, March 27, 2017

Appendix Pathology

Individuals with Thyroid cancer have a high chance of developing a second primary cancer. Not a secondary cancer (a cancer related to a primary cancer) but a completely different unrelated cancer.

I disagree with the research (but who am I?). I believe the chance of having a second primary cancer is the same chance of anyone in the general population developing a cancer. The difference is that we go through many tests and are much more aware and concerned. Pass the general population through the same scrutiny and I suspect the rate would be the same.

For that reason, every bump, bruise, illness, or hiccup will have a Thyroid Cancer survivor concerned.

When I needed my appendix removed only seven months after my Thyroidectomy, the obvious question was: is cancer involved?

The pathology report came in. I am relieved to find out I had a casebook appendectomy. There was no cancer nor anything odd about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment