Monday, March 20, 2017

Kidneys: Primary Doctor Visit

I have had a lot of blood work done. While reviewing the results I noticed I have had elevated Creatine levels. I mentioned this to my Endocrinologist and she recommended I discuss it with my Primary Physician.

Why is this a concern?

When the surgeon removed my thyroid he also removed two parathyroids. The parathyroids were too imbedded into the thyroid to be saved. Parathyroids absorb calcium and without those parathyroids, my calcium levels were a mess!

To get my calcium levels into a normal range, I have had to take a large amount of calcium supplements. The problem with calcium supplements is that they can lead to kidney stones. Kidney stones reduce a kidney's function and can raise creatine levels (other things can raise cretaine levels too, which is further reason to investigate elevated numbers).

My primary physician told me he wanted to perform a test. For two weeks I would drink 60 ounces of water by noon every day. At the end of two weeks, I would have my blood work repeated to see if it showed any improvement.

I would like to continue writing and telling you about this, but unfortunately I need to go drink a whole lot of water right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment