Monday, March 26, 2018

Support Groups: What to expect after surgery?

I scour the support groups for some of the best questions and answers. Everyone's names are removed for privacy. Answers may be summarized and/or edited.

QUESTION: "Hi Everyone! I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer and having total thyroidectomy next week. Any advice on what I should expect after surgery. Suggestions on what I will need post surgery, comfort wise"


ANSWER:

  • Just don't over do it, and I liked warm broth only because it soothed, and Jello, but after the first day I could eat anything
  • What is helping me most is soft foods/warm liquids the first few days, 
  • lots of pillows so you can sleep somewhat upright (laying flat feels like I’m choking)
  •  a lot of rest. 
  • alternating between Tylenol and Motrin and have Oxycodone if I really need it. They’ve been helpful. 
  • Left the hospital and hit up chick fil a cause I was starving. A bit uncomfortable but meds covered that. 
  • I was able to drive and go back to other regular activities about a week after my first surgery, 
  •  had a hard time straightening my neck for awhile. Just give yourself time....it all works itself out in the end
  • Watch your calcium level after surgery. Mine was very low but with meds came up very quickly. 
  •  I didn't need anything as far as painkillers, even right after the surgery. My neck just felt tight. 
  • I did the LID diet then had RAI. Both were fine too, just very tired while not on meds for RAI. 
  • I suggest finding a support group in your area just so you can meet people who know what you are going through and how you feel.
  • You may feel a burst of energy after surgery, several people I know did, but if you overdo it you will pay for it. Take it easy
  • Ice is your friend, so have a couple gel packs that you can rotate to keep on your neck. It will help the swelling
  • Dont be surprised if you get super emotional for a few weeks after, your body is upset with the hormone changes it is making.
  • For the scar, As soon as your bandage/tape comes off, start using an oil on your neck at least a couple times a day. It helps keep the skin elastic, the massaging helps your body reabsorb fluids that cause swelling, and it prevents scarring. 
  • For the scar, Sunscreen whenever you leave the house. I used a stick sunscreen from the baby aisle which was 50SPF and kept it in my purse.
  • Stay as elevated as possible even while sleeping.
  • Get some physio lined up to gently release your neck after surgery
  • Pillows, keep yourself propped up when you sleep. 
  • for about 3 months after my surgery I had really bad GERD issues and if I slept like normal I often woke up choking
  • get yourself a pill box. Like a big one for 7 days and times of day, just a few bucks at Walgreens because for a few months you'll be on a lot of meds and it makes it easy.
  • easy to make meals.
  • Don't feel bad for taking time to relax and recover. 
  •  If you have tingling in your face or hands eat Tums like candy as my surgeon put it, it's a sign of calcium deficiency.
  • listen to your body. Have a comfy couch.
  • I was very emotional, dealing with the changes in the way. I felt physically adjusting to the hormone replacement. I suggest having someone you can lean on for support.
  • the important part is to regulate your medicine levels.. if you feel too sluggish med levels go up.. anxiety or heart palpitations meds need lowering
  • Sucrets!



Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist, nor personal trainer. Never take medical advice over the internet. Seek the advice of your doctor before following any of the recommendations made during this series.










No comments:

Post a Comment