Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Exercise to fight Thyroidectomy fatigue

In my research after diagnosis, I learned about weight gain that is typical after Thyroidectomies. I was determined that would not happen to me!

The thyroid influences your metabolic rate (the rate that you burn calories). If your thyroid hormones aren't in balance, the body will be inefficient at burning calories, which will lead to weight gain. You can change the math to your favor by exercising. Exercising can increase your metabolism and can sometimes replace the problems occurring with the thyroid hormones.  Your doctor will clear you for exercise usually after 10-14 days following surgery. 
For several weeks after surgery, I was full of energy. Exercise would not be a problem! Then I 'hit the wall' and was exhausted. According to Health Central, post-cancer fatigue is estimated to occur in up to 90 percent of patients, and I was no exception. I was too exhausted to exercise.

Korean researchers studied the impact of exercise on post-thyroidectomy fatigue. The exercise included walking for 150 minutes per week, resistance exercise twice per week, and flexibility exercises. The research determined exercise significantly reduced the fatigue in addition to having other benefits.

But that's the catch... you need to exercise to reduce the fatigue, but you can't exercise because you are fatigued! It wasn't until around 14 months post-thyroidectomy that my medicine was adjusted and I had relief from fatigue. For that 14 months, I chased away the sleepy fatigue with poor diet habits that packed on the pounds.

The Korean research provides promise that by pushing through the fatigue and doing the exercise, the fatigue may go away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment