Saturday, March 24, 2018

18 month Post-Op Checkup

I had my 18 month post-op checkup with the Endocrinologist on Friday, which is weird because it has been over 19 months. But, hey - close enough! The purpose of me sharing this is because I know people get concerned and wonder what long term care is like after a Thyroidectomy. I'm not one to share personal medical things, but, I'm doing it in this blog because I hope it helps others.

These appointments have become fairly routine. I get some bloodwork done the week before. We review the results and the doctor makes any necessary adjustments. She asks me a bunch of questions, complains about my weight, and does a checkup. She then gets the resident who comes in all smiles and says "You are cured" and I have to remind the resident-of-the-day that you are never cured from Thyroid cancer. We all slap each other on the back, great day, and I leave.

The only medical change this trip was a reduction in the amount of calcium I take. I had lost two parathyroids and so I take a lot of calcium supplements. Due to my history with kidney stones (had one 15 years ago) she cut my supplement intake in half.

Test results:
Thyroglobulin Ab   1.1   Range: 0.0-4.0
Thyroglobulin Qn  <.2    Range 0-55
T4 Free                   1.8    Range .9-1.7     She didn't seem concerned that this was out of range
TSH                         .9     Range .27-4.32
PTH Intact             29.9   Range 15-65

Many people recommend T3 get tested every time. But my doctor will only test T3 if she thinks there is a problem.

My next step is to get a routine ultrasound of the thyroid bed. And then I do not need to return to see the Endocrine doctor for a year!

No comments:

Post a Comment