Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Thyroidectomy: The Best Diet For Healing

My surgery is in three weeks and I want to learn what the best diet would be to promote healing. I'm not a doctor, a dietitian, or know anything about the medical field. I am just an average guy who wants to do everything possible to increase the chance for a great outcome. I have read many articles and this is what I have learned.

To promote healing, it is important I eat (even if I don't want to). Failing to provide nutrients could slow down my body's ability to heal.

While at the hospital, they may require I stay on a clear liquid diet. That would include soup, water, and juice.

When I get home I may still have a sore throat. The best foods for that are soft foods like: Mashed potatoes, pudding, apple sauce, soups, smoothies, and yogurt.

Once I am past the sore throat, I need to focus on a well balanced diet. I need to avoid process and prepared food, and focus on whole foods. Whole foods mean the food hasn't been changed from its original state. So, for example, a banana or apple is a whole food.

Promoting healing requires plant based foods (fruits, vegetables, whole grains (unprocessed brown rice, cereal, whole wheat bread), and lean proteins (chicken, turkey, pork, egg whites, fish, beans, nuts, tofu, and beans. Protein powders). I should drink plenty of water, finely chop all meat and vegetables, and eat slowly.

I read that there are some "super foods" for healing:  Almonds (due to vitamin E), beans (protein and iron), lean meats (protein), Citrus fruits (vitamin C), water, Mushrooms (vitamin D), Seafood (zinc), Sweet Potatoes (Vitamin A), Whole Grains (fiber), Yogurt and cottage cheese (calcium and probiotics).

One of the concerns after surgery is that pain medicine causes constipation. Constipation can be made worse with foods that are dried or dehydrated, dairy, red meet, and sugary sweets. Constipation is helped with whole grain breads, fruits, vegetables, and high-fiber cereals.

Now that my research is done, I am going to make a meal plan and a grocery list so I can stock up on everything I will need to back on my feet as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment