Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Sleep Study Results

I have been very tired ever since my Thyroidectomy. The thyroidectomy support groups have had many suggestions: check by renals, eat more basil, get my T3 checked, etc. All of those have been wonderful suggestions.

I went to my Primary Doctor and explained the situation. He told me I am tired because I am not getting enough sleep.

If you follow this blog, you'll recall my talking about FitBit's sleep analysis. If you get a fitbit sports watch, it will track information about your sleep habits. Fitbit recently made an update that enhances the sleep reporting.

Even though I was in bed for 8.5 hours, I only received 7.25 hours sleep. Every red area on the ribbon, and every red dash indicates time when I woke up - perhaps for 30 seconds, a minute, or longer. 

I had a sleep study done. I believe the sleep doctor determined I had sleep apnea and needed a CPAP machine before I ever walked through the door. I wonder if this doctor owns stock in sleep apnea equipment. Nevertheless, the results of the sleep study came in today.

Apparently I fall into a range of "Mild obstructive sleep apnea". My sleep patterns were interrupted 8 to 9 times per hour (normal range is 0 to 4). The apnea is more severe when I sleep on my back. The recommendation? Of course, a CPAP machine. 

Against my better judgement, I am going to give the CPAP a shot. I have to work with the doctor's office to select a medical supply company, learn how to use the device, and be fitted with a mask.

The CPAP masks seem absolutely ridiculous. Are you kidding me?

I already sleep with an eye mask to block out the light. What is that going to be like?


I wonder if I could just wear a Dark Vader helmet to sleep every night.


And, lets face it. These masts are not very sexy.

But I am going to give it a try. Tune back in later and I'll tell you how it is going.



No comments:

Post a Comment