Tuesday, March 18, 2014

First Goiter UltraSound

I went for the Ultrasound. I was a little nervous only because I did not know what to expect. A really short young lady guided me to a room with a bed. She had me lay down and stretch my kneck. The room was dimly lit so I just stared at the dots on the ceiling. She used the device first on my riht rise and took a very long time. I am glad she did the right side first because I am pretty sure the doctor said the problem was on the left (although I don't really remember now). She seemed to take a long time with both sides but I would have been concerned with the length of time if she had started with the side that I thought had the problem.

It was very relaxing - laying down, dim room, staring at the ceiling - I could have easily fell asleep. I kept want to swallow but I didn't and that was fine. It was a good experience overall. At the end she told me the radiologist would review the pictures and should have the results in a day or so.

Next, I went to the blood labs for some blood work the doctor wanted done. Nothing special with this - just normal blood dray. They stick you with a needle and then put a 6" strip of tape across my harry arm to hold a piece of cotton over the needle hole.

So, that was it. Easy. Not a big deal. And now I get a couple days of worrying while I wait for the results. Or, perhaps I won't worry. Perhaps this can be a little "vacation before the storm" should I get bad news.

Here's the deal - everyone has a one in four chance of dieing from cancer, according to the New York Times 2010. Many get cancer and don't die, so, your chance to get cancer is significant. The point is, if my fate is to get cancer, it would be good if my encounter had over a 97% survival rate. I don't want cancer but if I get it, I hope I get a curable cancer. I hope this is nothing and by next week at this time I gave forgotten all about it. We have many things that need our attention. Cancer would be a huge distraction. I really hope this doesn't impact our summer plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment