Saturday, October 8, 2016

Scary Situation: low calcium

I had a scary situation happen to me today while shopping.

I had a meatball sub last night for dinner. Unfortunately it didn't agree with me and I suffered all night. I wasn't sure if it was going to come up or our out... And it finally came out through massive  Diarrhea. 

6am arrived and I took my Thyroid medicine as I always do, and went back to sleep.

 14 hours after going to bed, and 18 hours after eating the suspect meatballs, I woke up. Tired and low energy, but I had survived the meatballs.

I had no desire to eat anything until 24 hours after the meatball sub. I started feeling weak and light headed, so I ate just a normal meal, nothing special.

25 hours after the meatball sub, I went to the store to get a few things with my wife. While at the store, I started feeling tired. The light headedness, which had dissipated while eating, returned. My lips felt numb and my heart felt like it was racing.

My wife was talking to me at the store and I wasn't paying attention because the overhead store lights seemed to be... moving.

"Are you OK?" She asked.

"No," I answered.

Was I dehydrated? Was I low in calcium? Was I still sick?

We sat at a bench in the store while she retrieved her emergency roll of Rolaids and I took two. She then left me to purchase a bottle of water, which I drank.

My wife checked out of the store and drove us home. On the way home I had two more Rolaids.

Perhaps an hour after the incident I felt OK. Still tired, but OK. I am not sure what caused it - dehydration, calcium, or illness - because all three can have those same symptoms.

That was scary - I have never had that kind of an episode before. I am a big tough guy, I usually power through anything. For me to take a knee meant there was defiantly something wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment