Thursday, October 6, 2016

Changing levothyroxine

I am almost two months post-op and my doctor is increasing my levothyroxine dose. My last bloodwork numbers were:


TSH. 3.01   (.27-4.20)
T4 Free. 1.41.  (.9-1.7)

The doctor wants to keep the TSH closer to the lower half of the normal range (between 0.5 and 2).

As a results I will be increasing from 150mcg to 175mcg. I am not sure I am thrilled with this change because I feel really good. I have some times were I feel down in the dumps, but that is t often and it usually doesn't last long. My energy levels are high and I don't feel tired. Also, I have learned that TSH means less that Free T4 - in other words, if my T4 is good, that is what is important. I understand that if TSH is too high it could promote thyroid and/or tumor regrowth, but it isn't high - it is in range.

My next blood work will be in two months. In the meanwhile, stay tuned and I will let you know whether or not this change was good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment