Thursday, May 4, 2017

Sleep Study: First Night with CPAP

I survived my first night with the CPAP machine.

The mask became uncomfortable several times during the night, probably because I had it strapped too tight. The edge of the mast touching my skin somethings became uncomfortable, but, the most uncomfortable was the hard plastic strap that went across my cheek bones. My cheek bones remained sore for twelve hours after I removed the mask.

Also, I woke up several times in the night and discovered a lot of air pressure in the mask. This was probably a sign that I hadn't taken a breath for some period because when that happens, the pressure will build up. When there is a lot of air pressure it can be difficult to exhale - doing so requires some force.

The humidity setting on the CPAP needs to get turned up because my nose was plugged and my mouth was dry.

After five hours, I got up to use the bathroom in the night and couldn't figure out how to disconnect the hose, so, I took the mask off and said "That is enough for my first night" I decided. I only used it for about five hours.

Cleaning the mask (aka, the "pillow") was super easy in the morning. Just a little dish soap, rinsed it, and then set it out to dry.

The results? Am I better rested? I don't know. It is too early to tell. I should know more after a few more nights. I really hope this helps! 




No comments:

Post a Comment